Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Nervous

I can honestly say that I cannot remember the last time I felt as vulnerable and nervous as I did today when I auditioned for the IHOP worship teams. I tried out for vocals, acoustic guitar and drums. They called you in two at a time and as soon as you walked in the door, there were two of the best worship leaders in the house (Justin Rizzo and Cory Asbury) as well as the phenomenal bass player and worship leader that plays on Misty Edward’s team, her name is Cassie. Those three are on their instruments and in the crowd were other worship leaders, musicians and section leaders. Now you would think after singing and playing in front of as many people as I have over the years that this wouldn’t bother me. WRONG. Man I was feelin’ the pressure. I mean, it’s not like I am playing with them on a team.....they are judging me. They played and I sang or played my instrument along. For the singing part I had to sing the chorus to How great is our God and then go immediately into singing a passage of scripture that I had picked out. For the guitar portion, I had to play a song I had never heard, then I played “Blessed be the Name” in a key that they picked and had to modulate a whole step in the middle of the song, after the modulation I had to change chords spontaneously as he called them out on the mic. For drums, I just stayed in the pocket and played it safe. After all was said and done I think I did well in all three categories but man was I glad it was over!! Anyway, I thought some of you would get a good laugh out of me “shakin’ in my boots”, I know my wife did!!!
Blessings,
Brian Jones

No comments: